A good life is a collection of happy moments...





Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Goal Met!

I am going to be really honest here. I had no clue or idea that I would have attempted six new recipes this quickly. I thought it would take me at least 6 months. I just never had any desire to take the time to actually cook. Yes, I have here and there, but not like this. I am liking that I have been able to freeze some of everything I have made. It's really helped me mix-up my meals and extend them for a while. My plan was to have chicken tonight, but I remembered that Lent started today. I then decided it would be best to make something meatless that I could have tonight and Friday. Meatless chili popped into my head. I'm not sure if I have ever even had meatless chili before tonight. In the end, dinner was delicious. A little on the tomatoey (Yes, I know that's not a word.), but I think it's because I accidentally put in tomato paste and tomato sauce. I bought both because I remembered using paste when I made my mom's recipe, but this one called for sauce. I should have used one or the other. I added a few more crackers than what I usually would and that helped. I will definitely be making this one again. 

Ingredients:
3 medium zucchini, chopped (recipe called for 4, but I thought that was a lot and 3 was just fine.)
1 large onion, chopped (recipe called for 2 medium, but 1 large is the same. I didn't even use the whole thing.)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans Italian stewed tomatoes
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can chili beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
1/4 cup parsley, minced
1 package chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 package of sliced mushrooms
(Recipe also called for 1 tablespoon of sugar, but I left that out. Just didn't think it was necessary. I also chose to omit the jalapeno pepper. Not my thing.)

Total cost was right at $17. That breaks down to $1.06 per serving! 

Diced up goodness! My knife skills are improving. :) Not really, but we will pretend they are!


Ta Da!!!! Yum-O!

In a large pot, saute zucchini, onions, and peppers in oil until tender.
Add garlic.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, and seasonings.
Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Stir occasionally.

Share with someone! 

Happy Cooking!

xoxo-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment