A good life is a collection of happy moments...





Friday, July 22, 2016

Remember where you started.


Change {cheynj}
noun
1. A transformation

Growth {grohth}
noun
1. The act or process, or a manner of growing; development; gradual increase

Day by day nothing seems to change, but pretty soon, everything is different.

I had a bit of a frustrating week run wise. I really want to blame it on the heat, but I know that not the only factor. I didn't sleep well and my legs were pretty heavy today. Tomorrow's rest day will be welcomed. Running at 6:30pm Monday, Wednesday, and again today was NO JOKE. I bailed on a 6:30am run this morning because I could. not. get. up! I was spent, but needed to run this evening before heading on vacay. So it got me thinking about where I was this time last year. 

I MEAN LOOK AT THIS! I am consistently running 10:00 minute miles on shorter runs and 10:30-11:00 minute miles on longer runs now. (Increasing speed takes time and I'm in in for the long haul.) Last year, it is evident I walked a lot. I cannot be frustrated with this week because I have grown so much. MUST REMEMBER THAT!  The heat is just an element that is out of our control and we must learn to suck it up, adapt, and move on....literally.
Mid-Summer 15 running log. 
Here is a picture from last July right before I decided I really needed (and wanted) to step up my game. I had done the Urban Bourbon Fall 14 and the KDF Mini in Spring 15, but it's clear I didn't put that much into it or know what I was doing. After the mini in the spring I was slipping back into old habits and putting some weight back on. (Note: I am not into running to lose weight, but it has been a nice perk and has boosted my confidence.) My trip to Denver was a turn-around point of telling myself that I wanted to keep my 2.0 journey from coming to a close and having to look back one day and start a 3.0 journey. So, I definitely slowed down those few months, but thank goodness I never quit. (I mean, I finished a marathon 9 months after this. I'm probably going to bring that up a lot. #sorrynotsorry)


Yep, what this quote says.



I wanted my journey to continue. So that's what I committed to and am committed to. Sometimes when things get tough, hard, unbearable, just take a step back and look at where you started. The hard days are what makes the great days that much greater. That's what I am having to do today. This past week was tough and this coming week is going to be as well, but my eyes are on the prize. When I say prize-I mean....growth, fun, health, community, family, and an overall better well-being. Running gives us so many life "prizes" and for that I am thankful. 

I started somewhat alone (because I was too stubborn and scared to step outside the box) and now my running squad, tribe, FAMILY is growing! I want to give a little shout out to Ruth because she has really helped me stay grounded and has become a pretty important person in my life. She sent me the kindest words today that brought me back to reality.!
 
 I never thought I'd be running speed intervals in the dead of summer, but we did it and we are SMILING afterwards! 

Here is a bonus... This is from my first Papa John's 10 Miler (I'll have to look up the date another time) and this year I PRed from then! Even if you have to have a 2.0 journey...you can still top the 1.0 journey! I'm living proof. (Also, check out the stadium!) 




Happy Running!

xoxo-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment